Thursday 22 January 2009

Intermittent to mittent?

Time: 07:00 - 19:30
Distance: 429 Miles
Rally Position: N/A

I was already switching-off the alarm as its first beep filled the room. I had experienced one of the worst nights weather that Dover had surely ever endured.... Driving rain and strong winds, just what you want when about to board a ferry!

Once outside in the car park the true extent of the weather situation became all to obvious and any good intentions I had had re checking oil, water, tyres etc soon went by the wayside. Pouring rain and bitter winds, in my opinion do not encourage roadside tinkering.

Once into the car and out of the weather I turned the key and......
nothing, completely dead!

Immediately my mind ran through the electrical items that I could have left switched-on and it was that thought that reminded me I had removed the kill switch key! It's funny how 3 hours sleep plays tricks on the mind.

With the kill switch in place, the car fired and started at first attempt. On went the blower and of course the wipers. It was at this point that the passengers side wiper decided that it did not want to be part of our adventure and promptly threw itself from the wiper arm and off into the dark. I looked at Ces (the wife) and Ces looked at me..... Now I am a modern man and believe that women are mens equal, therefore without hesitation Ces was sent out in the rain to retrieve the wiper blade and of course re-fit it.... Ah, equality, I am a big believer in all things politically correct.

Once loosely fitted back in place we departed the car park, trying not to use the wipers until a more permanent bodge could be put in place on the ferry.

We arrived in good time only to be told that the boat had been delayed due to the bad weather and things were running around an hour behind schedule. In short, wiper fixed!

Once on the ferry we were assured that the boat had stabilizers and that although rough we would glide over the top. I couldn't help but think why the hell didn't we use the tunnel. At least once aboard there was no trace of the smell of Jeyes fluid and that at least meant that the previous crossing had not been too bad...

Breakfast on-board allowed a view of the mill-pond called The Channel and all I can say is, I am glad we had stabilisers.
Photobucket

After an hour and a half on the high seas we joined land and that meant the autoroute system... In summary it rained...
Photobucket
and rained....
Photobucket

It was whilst on this mind-numbing journey that the intermittent Rev counter fault decided to become mittent, no matter how many gentle taps I gave it!

Everything else ran smoothly zooming along at an indicated 80mph and an oil pressure of 50psi and a temp gauge just about cool, the car did us proud....

Well yet again the bar beckons, and another day of autoroute tomorrow.... I can't wait. For the bar that is.....

No comments:

Post a Comment